Friday, March 6, 2009

getting adjusted

I think I am finally getting more adjusted to living in this dirty city. For sure it takes a few weeks. However, I am pumped that next week I get to retreat out of the city to go to Bangalore, which is southern India, for about a week. This is going to include a 30 hour train ride where I will get to see some country side!!! I think I am not quite used to so much city. So, I can't wait to sit around and read and play cards with my new friends on the servant team. When we get to Bangalore, we aren't going to really be inside of the city because we are staying at a house that a lady started to get street kids off of the street. Beth has said that the lady there has tons and tons of incredible stories. I am super excited to hear them and to meet the kids that have been brought up in a Christian environment rather than on the streets. What a beautiful thing! I'm loving getting to be a part of something that is so literally the gospel. There is so much need in this place, and it is fun to go and see the places that are offering redemption and the gospel in a real way.

Tonight I am planning on going to Khalighat for the first time to volunteer. This is super exciting, because when I came I was expecting to spend all 4 months at khalighat. The reason that this house is called khalighat is because the Hindu temple khali is right around the corner from the house. Khali is the god of death and destruction I am pretty sure. How crazy for that paradox to exist...You have the temple of death, lead by demons, and then you have a house offering life to people who have no hope physically right around the corner! Can't wait to experience this, and I really am excited about switching to this house in April too. I think it will be good to finish up March at Prem Dan and continue to reach out more and more to the patients there. It is really fun to sit and talk with the ones who know a little bit of english. Their faces are definitely imprinted on my mind. Many of these guys are mentally messed up or have some sort of disability. For example, there is a guy with 2 big bulges hanging from his neck, I think it is elephantitus, but I really have no clue. Somehow he finds kite string that flies in from kites that are broken in the area and he weaves them into bracelets. I think he offered me one, but I looked at it and wasn't sure what to do so I gave it back lol. If he offers it again, I think I will take it. I thought he was just showing it to me. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment